Atlanta’s diverse range of industries and vigorous real estate market make it one of the strongest economies in the US. In addition to its alluring local economy, Atlanta also offers homestead exemptions on its already modest property taxes.
What is a homestead exemption?
A homestead exemption is a legal provision that allows home owners to reduce the property taxes on their primary residence. The deductible amount varies by county and/or city.
By easing the burden of property tax bills, homestead exemptions protect home owners from high creditor demands that may force them to sell their homes. This helpful tax break also provides financial support for those who qualify under special exemptions.
Homestead exemptions in Atlanta
The basic homestead exemption in Atlanta is $30,000. In order to qualify, you must be a legal resident of Fulton County with a home owned and occupied by January 1, 2019. You may only claim a homestead exemption on your primary residence and not on multiple properties, rental property, or vacant land.
Atlanta also provides additional exemptions that increase the deductible amount on their taxable value. These include exemptions for senior adults, disabled veterans, and surviving spouses of a peace officer, firefighter, or military veteran.
For more details on these special exemptions, click here.
Application requirements for a homestead exemption in Atlanta
Only persons listed on the property deed are eligible to apply for a homestead exemption. The documents required for the application are:
- Georgia driver’s license or Georgia state ID
- Property parcel number (see previous assessment notices or property tax bills)
- Names of the property owners as listed on the deed
- Physical address of the property
- Owner’s contact phone numbers
- Owner’s Social Security number
- State of residence
- Current registration for all vehicles of owner and spouse (must show Fulton County address.)
- Date of birth for owner and spouse
- Trust affidavit (if the property is in the name of a Trust)
- State and federal tax returns, if applying for a senior exemption
As long as you own and occupy the home as your primary residence, there will be no need to re-apply every year. However, if you fall under the Fulton County Low Income 50% Exemption, you must re-apply every two years.
Online applications now available
Follow these instructions to apply for a homestead exemption using the Fulton County government’s online application system:
- Click here to go to the Fulton County Board of Assessors’ Online Services page.
- At the bottom of the page, click the “SmartFile” link.
- Follow the instructions to create your account.
- Log in and select “Homestead Exemption” under the list of filings.
- Under “Application for Fulton County Homestead Exemption,” click on the “Begin Filing” link.
- Refer to your required documents and proceed with providing the requested information.
The deadline for applications is April 1, 2019. Applications submitted after this date will be processed for the following year.
Filing for a homestead exemption in Atlanta?
For more help getting a homestead exemption in Atlanta, contact SET Real Estate Group. Call us today at (404) 348-2373 or email firstname.lastname@example.org[/ai_phone].