Smyrna is a charming city in Cobb County, GA, just 10 miles outside the city of Atlanta. It is known as the “Jonquil City,” due to the riot of jonquil flowers that bloom in the early spring. Ranked by Time Magazine’s Money.com as one of the best places to live in the United States, Smyrna is home to around 56,000 people.
Smyrna offers a number of opportunities to live, work, and play. This fast-growing city has plenty of diverse neighborhoods, a surplus of recreational facilities, and many avenues to start and grow your own business. Smyrna is accessible via the I-285, the U.S. Route 41, and the State Route 280.
History of Smyrna, GA
Smyrna was originally a campground used by settlers in 1832 as a place of worship. It was named Ruffs Siding and Varners Station between the years 1842 to 1872 before it eventually became Smyrna, named after one of the seven churches of Paul the Apostle in the Book of Revelation.
When a railroad was constructed in 1836, Smyrna began to grow as a town. Jobs were created, gristmills and factories were established, and buildings were constructed. In 1872, Smyrna was officially incorporated by the State of Georgia as a municipality.
Smyrna, GA real estate and property types
Those looking to move to Smyrna have a wide variety of real estate options to choose from. Prevalent are single-family homes, condominiums, and apartments. The single-family homes for sale in Atlanta, GA come in various architectural styles such as Traditional, Craftsman, and Ranch.
Smyrna’s Market Village, in particular, features 16 luxury townhomes in the heart of the city’s downtown area. These townhomes offer comfort, convenience, and walkability.
Notable neighborhoods in Smyrna include:
- The Cove
- Highlands at Vinings Estates
- Highlands Park
- Highlands View
- Lake Ridge Technical Park
- Oaks of Cumberland
- The Ridge
- Smyrna Heights
- The Terraces
- The Villages at Lake Park
- Village Green
- Vinings Estates
- Whitfield Parc
- Williams Parc
- Woodland Broke
Living in Smyrna, GA
- Smyrna residents enjoy the multi-use Community Center in the Village Green, which houses a basketball court, game room, gymnasium, fitness area, and racquetball courts. The Smyrna Community Center also hosts a basketball league and offers classes in dance, ballet, martial arts, and gymnastics.
- The outdoor Tolleson Pool features a swimming pool with an average depth of five feet, diving boards measuring one to three meters, and a spray park. There are also swimming lessons for infants, children, and adults. The pool is open during the summer months.
- Smyrna is home to around 22 city parks featuring playgrounds, walking trails, picnic areas, and many more. The 14-acre Jonquil Park has a multi-purpose field, a sand volleyball field, ball fields, soccer fields, and a playground.
- Smyrna also offers a wide variety of brick-and-mortar shopping options, like the Cumberland Mall, the Cobb Center, and the Heritage Pavilion. The Cumberland Mal has over 150 stores, from restaurants to services to choices in entertainment.
Searching for your next home in Smyrna and its surrounding areas? The SET Real Estate Group is the team to call when it comes to Atlanta real estate for sale. Get in touch with us today at (404) 348-2372 or email@example.com.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.